Super Advisor
newyorker

St Petersburg Russia, , Culture-Vulture advice please

I will be in St Pete in May and  have the opportunity to attend  performances at  the Mariinsky Theatre (ballet) and/or the Hermitage Theatre (Opera).  I  would prefer  to go  to the theatre that is more  opulent, drop dead gorgeous  or historic Performance  is secondary.  I googled both and they  look beautiful,  

If you have been  to St Pete or even if you have not, do you have suggestions as to which theatre would be the better choice. .  None of the folks I know have been there. And if all else fails, I will go to both  Problem is I will be pre-paying for tkts..

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
ronaldchadwick

Re: St Petersburg Russia, , Culture-Vulture advice please

Not been there yet. Mrs C says we should go, However these pics are excellent

http://images.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1T5GGLL_enGB281GB281&q=st+petersburg&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=lRK-S6zx...

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
petrj

Hello,

I visited St. Perersburg two times. One time I went to Mariinskyj theater. It was nice ballet (http://www.mariinsky.ru/). I speak and understand Russian language, therefore the communication is not an issue. Of course if you visit ballet no issue at all. Just you can find in theater some people who will be not able to understand. Also they have two different prices (for russians and for foreigners). I didn't know this before. But because I spoke with them russian, they ask me if I am from St. Petersburg. I responded true, no I am from Prague. She told me, ok you are from Moscow and I paid less. Also it means, it is not all the time neccessary to buy tickets in advance. Let me say, only for first night show or during very high season.

I visited also Hermitage, I saw only pictures (from a guide) of Hermitage Theater, it looks also great. But I didn't visit the theater.

If you like culture and you want to visit more theaters or orchestra halls, than I recommend you to visit also this site (http://petersburgcity.com/theaters/) or to ask concierge. I think they will be helpful.

Petr

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
foxberg

Well, I am originally from St. Petersburg, Russia. Mariinski is a must to go if you are a ballet lover. I would buy tickets in advance though. You must go see the Hermitage, Church on the Spilled Blood and St. Isaac Cathedral. If you enjoy art stop by SolArt Galley on Solyanoj Pereulok and ask for Edward. This is true about different prices for locals and tourists. Try to stay away from fast food joints on Nevsky Prospect. I found quality of food there to be questionable. Don't forget to take "Raketa" (I think), a water tram by the Hermitage to Peterhoff (Petrodvoretz), a summer residence of Russian czars. This is a miniature Versailles. Feel free to ask any questions.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
newyorker

Thank you Petr,

I liked your advice.  I wil go to the Mariinsky, as the program looks better and it is such a famous house. When in St Persburg, if I decide to go to a performance at the theatre at the Hermitage, I will get a last minute ticket. If not for one night, than the next.

I didn't know about two levels of prices - high  for tourists, low for natives.  Somehow it is almost the same everywhere, but not so clear cut.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
newyorker

Hi Foxberg.

I knew I could count on a New Yorker for advice, but as you were originally from ST Petersburg, that's  fantastic.Thank you.

As I travel solo, and of a 'certain age'  on this holiday, , I am going on a group tour. It is with a London based company, and we stay in one hotel in the center of  ST Pete and travel in and around the area for 6 days, led by a PhD in Russian history and art/archecture.  I am staying one extra day, just to catchup on things to see again or to see what  the group misssed. I will buy a ticket in advance for the  Mariinsky from the  tour co.  and wait and see if I want to go to the Hermitage theatre when I'm there.

I'm glad about the advice about not eating at  fast food  joints., as when I'm in a hurry, I would want to do so. Now I won't Thanks,

I am currently reading a book about Russian History, and  bought  a gorgeous book of photos   of the "Palaces of Leningrad"  I might even get to read Crime and Punishment on the plane, and to get further  immersed into things Russian, , I am now drinking vodka martinis...

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
ronaldchadwick

Crime and what, the censor did not like it.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
newyorker

Ron,

The book I started to read is Crime and P U N I S H M E N T.

That censor in cyberspace doesn't like me and bleeps me on almost everything.

Please use plain text.