Super Advisor
Pizzaman

Re: Is everyone else annoyed at the "Big Win" promotion?

I'm a loyal member and have actually have been figuring out ways to take advantage of this promotion through golf trip stays, business stays, and any other way that will help me attain bonus points. With that said this promo has my wheels turning trying to schedule trips or stays that I would not have regularly planned for. I'm not a business traveler but business owner with flexibility to take quick trips. So this is a good promo to make me think of different ways to get bonus points.
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
djboss

Not really annoyed, or surprised at the complexity and nature of this promotion. As Mr IHG himself (jba) hints, IHG's reason for offering a promotion is not to reward loyal members, but to sell more rooms. Its a shame that means that some are obviously choosing to make unecessary trips, or to stay at inconvenient sites, in a bid to earn points. Surely it would be better for IHG to try to tempt people making genuine trips, away from their competitors locations? I guess they've given up on that.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Pizzaman

Don't get me wrong I'll make any excuse to schedule a golf trip with friends and be the one responsible for reservations and where we might tee it off! Promotions have led me to many locations that I would never have thought of visiting.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
JBa

djboss wrote:

. As Mr IHG himself (jba)

You would be surprised about how many nights I stay at other hotel chains. Just as an example, this year alone I've stayed over 50 nights at hotels that don't belong to any hotel chain.

So calling me Mr. IHG is flattering, but incorrect. I just learnt over the years how IHG, MR, HH etc works and what I can expect from the promotions. If I don't get points for a stay, I'm not getting to excited anymore.

It just would be nice, if the the T&Cs sometimes would be simpler or easier to understand.

Let me get the cheese ready......
Please use plain text.
Visitor
rgdave

IHG proboably should have offered a choice of the standard Big Win promo (50,100 points total) available to all RC members without enough stay history to generate a custom hurdle. The 'standard' promo is 4 nights total, including 2 Saturday nights, at 3 different brands and 2 direct onlinbe (i.e. ihg.com) bookings (plus the 100 pt. survey at the end.) Give a choice of that or the custom hurdle (which for a lot of members can genberate more than twice the standard 50,100 points.) That way, if their hurdle calculations were off, based on travel patterns, a member could at least qualify for the 50,100 promo. I can see why the member in Asia got a Europe target because he had recently traveled to Europe. But the Big Win promo doesn't take into account that he doesn't travel to Europe regularly, so he isn't motivated to engage in any Big Win promo booking behavior because he can't meet the target.

I, for example, seldom travel to Asia. But I have a trip planned in the spring which will generate a lot of IHG Asia activity in my account. I expect that next year, if a Big Win type promo comes back, that I'll have an Asia hurdle. But I'll just have one Asia trip next year, so a promo with an Asia hurdle at the end of 2014 will be useless to me. However, I'd happily jump on the standard type promo, which in a 3 month period, is achieveable for me.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
hong kong

Totally agree with you though I have "surrendered" right at the beginning.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
williambe

very interesting postings on this topic.

I understand now why the computer has assigned me ( as a European based customer) to stay in two USA locations where I was earlier this year. Of course I am not going to go back there now as I have no current business in those locations...

Agree also that this system of wildly varying targets regarding number of nights, different brands, etc is a bit baffling.

But lets assume that the management of IHG Rewards Club is in an experimental phase, where they try out the limits of what their loyal customers can bear, at the least cost in terms of rewards ... :-)

Personnally I must say that I have not made up my mind yet onwhether I keep going on it or not. I have had 9 very rewarding years with the Priority Club and do recognise that it was very generous. In exchange I do also recognise that I was very loyal whenever reasonably possible 

Please use plain text.
Regular Visitor
Gmac77

one of my goals was to stay in 2 luxury hotels in the US sadly I stay in the UK making achieving my total BIG WIN unachievable.......

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Pizzaman

With less than 3 weeks to go in this promo I only had 3400 points out of a possible 114,000. After reviewing my goals I decided to put together a couple of short trips to finish off the year and add to this total. Scheduling a weekend stay for my number one worker I also decided to take a weekend in Times Square right before New Year's Eve . After plugging in these 2 short trips I realized I only needed a stay in the Chicago area to complete all goals. Luckiy for me I own a food establishment right outside of Chicago. Being from Ohio a short trip to the Chicago area will complete all goals. I would have never planned to take the time to put together any or all of these weekend trips without this promo. Rewarding employees with stays in various city's has worked out well for me. I personally have to say this was a good promo for IHG!
Please use plain text.