Advisor
vincenttaywb

Strange IATA reference number appearing whenever i book

Hi all,

I have been logging into my account frequently. Recently, whenever i tried to do a booking via a search for hotels, I began to notice a IATA reference number appearing on all my searches. I cant seems to delete them. It comes in at the Hotel Search Results page beside the Corporate ID.

How would that affect my room price, booking and points be affected?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
fatmanpauluk

Re: Strange IATA reference number appearing whenever i book

If the number is 99613032 or something similar, then don't worry about it. IHG just use it to track easily which site you actually booked through, so that they can see productivness of each of their sites. You would expect they'd be simple and just use one site, but no, they have hundreds and they evaluate each one to see how the public relate to them. So in one newspaper advert it will have one link, but the same advert in a second newspaper will have a slightly different link, or if they do tie ins with other other companies, such as Tesco or O2, the web addresses will be more easily trackable and in the end IHG can see where best to spend their money on advertising.

The rates supplied and points earned won't be any different even if you go through another site to book the room.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
JBa

The IATA number comes from a website you visited previously. It doesn't affect any reservations but can be annoying.
If you clear the cookies on your computer the IATA number will disappear.
Nothing comes easy...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
vincenttaywb

Thanks everyone. It is comfortable to hear that. I was just worried that there would be no points award or being charged a different rate. I thought the IATA reference number is a third party in the whole booking process.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
CaroReed

Thanks fatmanpauluk and JBa!

You both are right - IATA numbers are used for tracking web bookings from sites that you've visited previously. It helps us determine where are traffic is coming from! It will not affect the price and eligibility for points for the rates that you book - but I do ask that you not remove them from your bookings if necessary because many of our affiliate sites earn their commissions by passing these IATA numbers off to our website for bookings. However, It's entirely up to you if you choose to clear your cookies - it' just helps us determine where to spend more marketing efforts :smileyhappy:

Carolyn

Priority Club Connect Community Manager

Please use plain text.