Occasional Advisor
Chipster55

Security with Credit Card on file

Good Evening. I came across an incident today involving my priority club (IGH Rewards) today which you all should know. I was traveling back home and decided to see if some points had posted to my account from a few recent stays in Colorado Springs. I noticed that I had a reservation that I had not made. It was for a holiday inn in North Carolina for tonight. Now I had just left Colorado Springs this morning by vehicle so obviously I did not make reservation. I called IGH rewards and to make a long story short they told me the last 4 digits of credit card and it did not match mine on file. I inquired why all my info was there and was basically told not to worry, it won't be charged to your card. The person I talked with wasn't the least bit concerned about my name and all my info being on a reservation in North Carolina. Pretty sorry service with all the ID theft occurring today. So I took it upon myself to investigate this further (since I was uncomfortable with this issue) and called the Holiday Inn in NC and asked them if they had a confirmation number for me and gave them the confirmation number. They said yes and I asked if anyone had checked in with that number. Again the answer was yes. Of course I said I just left CO and it can be verified I stayed with them last night. I asked them to call police and get matter resolved. The clerk also verified the individual that checked in had done so under my name but indeed a different credit card was used about 30 minutes I get a call back and was told that there had been a mistake and apparently he put the wrong priority club number in. So I thanked him and asked him why I was told that my name had been used to check in. He said that the individual holiday inns are required to check ID with credit card info (which makes sense) and that he had cleared up the problem with this. I have a few problems with this. First: if this person had not shown up would my card have been charged. I had tried to cancel reservation when I first noticed it but it was after 6:00 pm Eastern time so a screen comes up explaining cancellation procedures and wanted me to check a box to verify I understood that I would be charged for the room. Would my card had been charged? I really wouldn't think so with different credit card numbers but I have a card on file so I don't have to give them all the information when I book. Second issue I have is with the support person I talked with who (to me) seemed like she didn't perceive this to be any big deal. And lastly what kind of Security does IGH have with there whole online system. This should have been flagged when the credit card did not match my rewards number. I am taking my card off my account because of the attitude of everyone involved, even though the NC hotel tried to assure me that none of my information had been compromised. Hopefully that is true but this incident was enough for me to remove my card from account. Once your security has been breached, expect to spend 2-3 years fixing all of the issues that come about afterward. I feel pretty confident that this was a typing error but it should not have gotten as far as it did. I was just lucky I decided to check my account today.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Chipster55

Re: Security with Credit Card on file

I ended up getting the 2500 points that were mistakenly booked on my account. Thank-you IGH..Also I've always received answer on my emails for missing points and they get credited right away. Maybe I'm lucky. I agree that customer service has slipped a little but so far I have no complaints. I do all my bookings online and as was pointed out in another post I read, all the points associated with the stay are listed. This allows you to either call customer service at that time or cancel your reservation.
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Pizzaman

Re: Security with Credit Card on file

I have received points that sometimes have no idea where they came from! Makes up for some hassles that occur every once in a while. Today I received over 3600 points from a stay that only cost $80. I am occurring points a lot of times because I don't want to use 25,000 points for an $80 room. I guess I'm waiting to blow them on some fantastic vacation!
Please use plain text.