Regular Advisor
ferdzz06

SMOKING AREA OR SMOKING ROOM???

i know that everyone of us would like to have a non smoking room since some ouf us would be allergic to  cigarettes and all.. some would just like to have a non smoking while others choose it beacuse they don't want a room smelling like cigarettes.. so everyone is trying to get that room so they can be comfortable in their stay.. but i have a question for all..

would you prefer a hotel with a designated smoking area (all rooms are non smoking) or a hotel with a smoking room?

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
iristina

Re: SMOKING AREA OR SMOKING ROOM???

Since I don't smoke, I actually prefer hotels that are 100% non-smoking. This is especially nice when I'm traveling by myself and want to eat in the bar area. It's easier to meet people to chat with in the bar than in a hotel restaurant dining alone. I have stayed in many hotels that have an outside covered seating area next to the bar for smokers. I suspect it depends on the area as to whether the hotel has a 100% non-smoking policy or just some rooms. I definitely think there needs to be a designated area for smokers away from the non-smoking areas.

Sometimes hotel ventilation is not all that great, and I can smell smoke in my bathroom. I have also stayed in 100% non-smoking Marriotts and guests were smoking on their balcony--next to mine or underneath.  I have to go inside and shut my door when that happens. I know a smoker who reserves non-smoking rooms because she thinks they're cleaner. She then smokes on her balcony or in the room anyway, thinking she can cover it up. I'm glad when hotels have me initial the cleaning charge for smoking in a non-smoking room for people like her.

If I was still a smoker (I quit 20 years ago), I'm sure I would want to be able to smoke in my well ventilated hotel room.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
JBa

Been a smoker now non smoker for over 5 years. I prefer the non smoking hotels. What surprises me that smokers think you can't smell cigarette smoke when they're smoking in the non smoking rooms.  Bar can be designated smoking area

Nothing comes easy...
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
fatmanpauluk

I really thought that once the Anti Smoking Laws came into effect in the UK all hotels would be 100% smoke free. And for a long time that was the case.

One of my favourite hotels has 3 floors and I really enjoyed the view from the top. But a few months ago I stopped getting the top floor rooms. I casually enquired and was told that now, half of the top floor now has smoking rooms and the other half are twin bedded and single rooms. The reason for the change in attitude was that customers still smoked in rooms even though there was no ashtray or other way to safely extinguish the cigarette or cigar. The hotel used to impose a fine upon the people and take directly from their credit card because housekeeping couldn't inform reception before the customer had checked out. The fine was £100. There were clear signs to tell customers this would happen.

The problem came when customers who had been fined sort restitution from the Credit Card Company for the hotel taking funds without approval. The hotel would then have to argue with the Credit Card Company that they had every right to take the funds, but falling foul of the law when they were unable to show a signiture against a Terms and Conditions of Stay form to say that the customer was aware of the rules of smoking in the room and knew the consequences.

Even if the hotel won the arguement with the Cerdit Card company the next piece of paper to arrive would be from a Solicitor (Lawyer) stating that the next stage was that the company would have a law suite filed. That wouldn't sit well in the local or national press and Intercontinental Hotels would be dragged through the press and it is likely to cause more damage than good. So an out of court settlement was always favourable.

In short the policy of fining people failed. It was easier to open up certain bedrooms to smokers and hopefully do away with any problem of smokers in non smoking rooms. For my favourite hotel it's worked. They've only had 1 instance of a smoker in a non somking room in 6 months.

I miss my top floor rooms but at least I know if a fire starts due to the negligence of a smoker the fire will be above me and I'll have more time to evacuate the hotel, but I suppose it will lead to more false alarms as the over sensitive fire alarms go off more often!

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
amandakehoe

I prefer to have a non-smoking room. In my opinion, all rooms should be non-smoking. Some hotels operated/managed by IHG still offer rooms within the hotel for smokers.

In my opinion, since IHG is a global company, and a company with most rooms being operated by another party, a policy similar to Starwood's Westin Hotel & Resorts, may not make sense. Some IHG hotels do have a smoke-free policy, in some form or another.

Does it make sense to take a smoke-free policy, Worldwide? My immediate thought on the question is NO.

Amanda Kehoe

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
tomthbomb

Having a smoking area in a building is

like having a pxxing area in a swimming pool.

Working my way to 1M points.
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
RicksFamily

I agree!

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
RicksFamily

100% non smoking is my choice.  Nothing worse than a smoking area which then allows the 'aroma' to drift out and up throughout the hotel.  Also, I really do not like having to walk through the smoke at the front door as guests smoke outside the door.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
JBa

Would that be the bathroom? Not providing an area where these people can smoke can result in what I hate the most. Smoking in the rooms. A separate ventilation system in the smoking area prevents the smoke getting in the rest of the building

Nothing comes easy...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
connie1

i would really like to have a 100% non smoking room.. i hate the smell of cigars in the room..

Please use plain text.