Occasional Visitor
Kuuleivic

Platinum member

Hi.. new to the boards..have a question... Being a platinum member are the upgrades  available on  a stay using points as well  ( if available) or is it just paid stays?

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
petrj

Re: Platinum member

Hello Kuuleivic, welcome to PCC. My experience is, that you can receive room ugrade if room is available it doesn't matter if you pay your stay or you use the points. Key point is availability of the room. 

Petr

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
reggavegga

I dont think they like to because they can rent the upgraded room to someone thats paying and make more money on that room.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
jkern72

Redeeming reward points does not qualify you for the upgrade (if available) scenario.  However I have found many hotels have opted to upgrade me regardless of rate or points.  There are some hotels that also choose not to upgrade period unless you pay.  The HIE in Orange Beach, AL for example was rather **bleep**ty about it.  If they don't have a room upgrade you may receive complimentary items (internet, drinks, % off a meal or bonus points).

Jason Kern
IHG Platinum Member
Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
Hawkwind1966

It doesn't seem to matter if I am on loyalty points or not - The upgrade remains just as random! I was upgraded to a suite in Pattaya for a 7 night stay on loyalty points and have similarly not been upgraded when paying the full price in other hotels.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Bloobell

Stayed in the HI Gatwick Airport last night - no upgrade and no reason given.

It really is hit and miss with Platinum Upgrades and is very disappointing

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
JBa

Agree with everyone. It is hit and miss with the upgrades. But I experience the same over at Marriott. Am I upset about it? No, I like PC because they give me a ton of points every year.

You can try to improve your upgrade chances by adding a little note in the comments line when making the booking online. Also when checking in, ask if they have a room upgrade for you.

Let me get the cheese ready......
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Hallen

Holiday Inn Express Tampa-Brandon would not grant an upgrade when I used my points.  The desk clerk was extremely rude when informing me that this property choses to not grant an upgrade to a Platinum Elite member.  I won't use them again. 

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
iristina

Points redemptions are for a standard room (although occasionally a property offers options better than a standard room when making the original reservation online), so each property can decide whether they want to provide an upgrade when you check-in. I am usually upgraded less than 50% of the time when using points; however, on a recent trip over the holidays, I was upgraded at all three properties I visited and given my Platinum benefits too! I did not ask at any of the properties; it was automatic.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Road Warrior

As a Platinum member with alot of points I was able to book 8 rooms at the Holiday Inn, Bensalem PA n using points for my family and block many others at a discounted rate for my daughters wedding this summer, The sales manager at this hotel has been fabulous in making all the arrangements to help us with this, I commend her services, There are many hotels out there that I stay at that are very good to work with, but then there are some that are difficult, For the most part I am very satisfied with Priority Club Rewards, My second home

Please use plain text.