Occasional Advisor
NeilArmy

Buy Points - Value

I'm new. I intend to use points for hotel stays. I received e-mail offer to buy points with a 50% bonus. Looking at random locations at different times of the year, the cash price, in almost every instance, would be less expensive than buying points to use for the stay, and that's with the 50% bonus. Without the bonus points, it would be much less expensive to just pay cash. Is this typical about what to expect for buying points? Is there any real value to buying points?

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
agn

Re: Buy Points - Value

It is almost always better to simply use the cash+points booking rate to "buy" points for your account, by booking and then cancelling, and having these points go back into your account.
JBa brings the cheese, I bring the corkscrew...you provide the whine
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
agn

For example, right now, the best rate you can do on this point purchase is 90,000 for $690. That is $76.67 per 10k points. Using the points and cash and book and cancel method, the cost is $70 per 10K points. http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/11/25/ihg-rewards-club-50-bonus-purchased-points/
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
agn

So, given this, you can see that booking a hotel with cash or with bought points, comes down to whether the room rate (with all taxes included) is more or less than the point rate*0.007, ie. 20,000 points = $140 (tax included). Two cautions though, points you accumulate througn the book and cancel method do not count for status. Things may have changed, but in the past, bought point do count for status. And of course, using points makes you ineligible for any bonus/promo requiring a qualifying stay. More here: http://www.priorityclubinsider.com/points-promos/buying-points/
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
NeilArmy

Good info and thanks for the links.

Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Pizzaman

That is what this forum is supposed to be about helping members with their questions or concerns congrats!
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
agn

Aw, shucks!
Please use plain text.
Super Advisor
Pizzaman

I know it hurts to sometimes feel like a regular person!
Please use plain text.
jcl2116

Another question related to buying points:

I just booked Bora Bora with my points but didn't realize it could also be a way for me to buy points with cash and points. So it looks like my booking was for the last set of rewards night at the IC Thelasso Spa for my dates. If I were to cancel the reservation to effectively buy those points, can I rebook that same room immediately or could there be a chance that they remove that room from being a rewards night room? Not sure if I should take my chances but I effectively now have less than 1,000 points remaining and can't buy points through the cash and points option anymore! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
YabbaDabbaDo

[ Edited ]

Is it possible for a member to get a 2nd credit card and get the bonus ?

Please use plain text.